Catholic Healthcare West has awarded Hunt Construction Group the construction contract for the Sequoia Hospital Rebuilding Project in Redwood City.
The project, sited on the existing hospital campus, will consist of a new four-story, 148,000-sq-ft, 104-bed pavilion, hosting medical and surgical services and an advanced cardiovascular center, a central utility plant and mechanical yard, seismic upgrades to the existing hospital and a dining/kitchen addition and remodel to the existing hospital.
Designed by Moon Mayoras Architects, the project is set to begin construction in April with an anticipated completion date of December 2012.
“Hunt is excited to partner with Catholic Healthcare West on building one of the most advanced healthcare facilities for residents of the Bay Area,” says Ray Zunino, vice president for Hunt.
“We’re thrilled to begin the new pavilion and provide our community with state-of-the-art medical care delivered in larger, private rooms with clinically advanced equipment,” says Glenna Vaskelis, CEO and president of Sequoia Hospital.
The new Sequoia Hospital campus will be one of the most advanced health care facilities in the Bay Area, according to Hunt. Features of the new 167 bed hospital campus include:
• Larger, private rooms -- improved infection control for patient safety, enhanced patient care and comfort, with enough space for family to visit and stay overnight
• New consult rooms -- better integration of care and communication between physicians, families and patients including portable medical records and advanced IT capabilities
• Healing environment -- soothing natural interior colors, healing gardens, and a water wall
• Landscaping -- new landscaping incorporating the existing trees and adding terraced front gardens along Whipple Avenue
• IT advances -- wireless collection of patient vital signs transmitted directly into the patient's online medical record; integrated electronic systems for bedside point of care; hands-free wireless voice telephonic system to allow better communication between physicians, staff and patients; new connectivity with first responders; portable and hand-held devices for easy review of patient records; wireless patient care alerts
Hunt’s healthcare portfolio includes 132 facilities built across the nation, representing over $5 billion worth of construction.
Hunt is consistently ranked by Modern Healthcare and Engineering News Record as one the nation's top general contractors in healthcare construction. Most recently, Hunt has completed the massive LAC+USC Medical Center Replacement and is currently constructing the Veterans Administration New Southern Nevada Healthcare System Medical Center and the San Antonio Military Medical Center. Construction will get underway later this year on the Methodist Hospital North Campus Expansion on the Texas Medical Center Campus in Houston.
Sequoia Hospital is a member of Catholic Healthcare West, a system of 41 hospitals and medical centers in California, Arizona, and Nevada. Founded in 1986, it is one of the nation's largest not-for-profit health care systems and the largest private hospital system in California. CHW is committed to delivering compassionate, high-quality, affordable health care services with special attention to the poor and underserved. The CHW network of nearly 10,000 physicians and approximately 54,000 employees provides health care services to more than five million people annually.