The American Institute of Architects, San Francisco chapter, has named 25 projects as winners of its annual Design Awards competition.
Projects were honored in Architecture, Interior Architecture, Energy & Sustainability, Historic Preservation, Unbuilt Design and Special Achievement categories. Each award was divided into three subcategories – Honor, Merit and Citation.
The winners were revealed last week at a gala held at the Julia Morgan Ballroom in San Francisco. Craig Dykers, senior partner and director at Snøhetta, led the evening as master of ceremonies.
Award highlights in the architecture category this year include:
- Honor Award: The Community Foundation Santa Cruz County. This new 10,000-sq-ft permanent home – providing administrative spaces, a large community room and resource library clad in materials evoking a sense of permanence – securely anchors the non-profit as an enduring community resource, according to AIASF. Architect: Mark Cavagnero Associates; General Contractor: Devcon Construction, Inc.; Project Management: Nova Partners; Structural Engineer: Jon Brody Structural Engineers; Mechanical Engineer: Airtec Services; Civil Engineer: Ifland Engineers, Inc.
- Merit Award: The JELD-WEN Stadium Renovation. The AIASF says this Portland project “is an urban planning success story balancing contemporary architecture with the historic character of a 1930s building.” Architect: AECOM; Associate Architect: Oh planning + design, architecture; General Contractor: Turner Construction; Structural Engineer: Catena Consulting Engineers; Mechanical Engineer: PAE Consulting Engineers; Civil Engineer: KPFF Consulting Engineers.
- Merit Award: ODC Theater Center. The converted 1909 box factory in San Francisco’s Mission District was renovated and expanded to more fully achieve ODC’s long-standing goal of providing an international contemporary dance center on the West Coast, AIASF says. Architect: Mark Cavagnero Associates; General Contractor: Oliver and Co.; Structural Engineer: Jon Brody Structural Engineers; Mechanical Engineer: LMR Consulting Mechanical Engineers; Civil Engineer: Van Maren & Associates.
- Architecture – Craig Dykers, Snøhetta; Lisa Findley, California College of the Arts; and David Meckel, California College of the Arts.
- Interior Architecture – Angela Brooks, Brooks + Scarpa; Anne Fougeron, Fougeron Architecture; Laura Hartman, Fernau + Hartman; and Lydia Lee, Remodelista.
- Energy & Sustainability – Bill Burke, Pacific Energy Center; Claire Maxfield, Atelier 10 San Francisco; Kent Royle, Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects; and Daniel Simons, David Baker + Partners.
- Historic Preservation – Montgomery Anderson, Cody Anderson Wasney; Mike Buhler, San Francisco Architectural Heritage; Cathy Garrett, PGAdesign; Rob Gayle, UC Berkeley; and Jeff Gherardini, Plant Construction.
- Unbuilt Design – R. Thomas Jones, Cal Poly College of Architecture and Environmental Design; Koji Tsutsui, Koji Tsutsui and Associates; and Amy Eliot, Tom Eliot Fisch.
- Special Achievement – Amir Afifi, California College of the Arts; Aaron Baumbach, associate director at AIASF; Bonnie Bridges, Boor Bridges Architecture; Art Gensler, Gensler; Carolyn Kiernat, Page & Turnbull; and John Schlesinger, John Schlesinger Architect.