Rosie the Riveter Visitor Center and Theatre, Richmond
Built in 1931, the former Ford Motor assembly plant was designed by noted industrial designer Albert Kahn. In 1989, just a year after its listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the factory was ravaged by the Loma Prieta earthquake. In August 2012, the project team delivered a rejuvenated treasure to the city of Richmond. The former material-delivery and dispatch area has become a multipurpose entertainment venue. The oil house's once dank, dark storage basement is now the Rosie the Riveter Visitor Center, which honors the stalwart 1940s women who assumed trade jobs while servicemen were at war, forever changing U.S. worker demographics.
Contractor Dalzell Construction, Alamo
Owner Orton Development, Emeryville; National Park Service, San Francisco
Lead Designer Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects, Berkeley
Structural Engineer The Crosby Group, Redwood City
MEP Engineers Mechanical Design Studio, Walnut Creek; SCE Engineers, San Francisco
Consultants Architecture and Light, San Francisco; Charles M. Salter Assoc., San Francisco; Camilla Alexander, Richmond; Preservation Architecture, Oakland